He isn't Montell Williams
morph
2013-10-17 06:48:38 UTC
Today we see the retirement of Detective Munch. Television's longest continuous character is hanging up his shield.

The last vestige of H:Lots's continuum is now an entry into Destiny's records and tv history catalogues.

Who could imagine, back in the late 90's, a character/actor combo from a series that was practically cancelled twice, ran for 7 years without cracking the top 50 shows in ratings in any week (I think 63 was it's top?), would go on to be the most prolific character/actor combo ever? (right? no period there, should be a question mark)

Reportedly, Mr. Levinson called Mr. Belzer in for an audition after hearing him do a gig on Howard Stern, had the actor read for him, and proclaimed him a lousy actor. After a second reading, Barry says "he's still terrible" (wikipedia)but stuck with him. This guy then goes on to play this character for 21 years, appearing in 8 or 9 shows (lost count) in comedies, dramas, and whatever x-files is categorized as. Are you frkkn kidding me.

Matt Dillon/James Arness, you had a great run, held the title for almost 40 years. Well done. Now there is a new king, and his name is not Montell Williams.

As an idiot god, I cannot be sad. However, I can't help but feel a certain unease in the universe, perhaps a period of flux. Is it due to an end to an era, or that the gov't reopened when Munch retired or that we likely will never know who killed Gordon Pratt..... I ponder

morpheus - .....
Sherlock.Homes
2013-10-24 13:09:40 UTC
"morph" <***@gmail.com> wrote in message news:772833f8-15bb-47da-8796-***@googlegroups.com...
Today we see the retirement of Detective Munch. Television's longest
continuous character is hanging up his shield.

. . .

All things come to an end. Have you been watching Giancarlo Esposito's
performance as Gustavo Fring in breaking bad? From the Baltimore FBI to the
very dark side of the force.

Speaking of Munch, I kind of lost what little interest I had in SVU after
Chris Meloni left. I did enjoy watching Mariska growing into the role and
become more and more believable as an NYPD detective year after year. That
never happened with Ice-T. "-)

Sherlock