Kellerman
Ronda Sexton
2008-07-04 20:57:31 UTC
I hate the way they wrecked Kellerman.

IMHO as long as Luther had the gun in his hand, he was armed and dangerous.

Pull a gun on a police officer, and as long as the gun is in your hand, you
are a clear and present danger.
Todd
2008-07-06 06:57:39 UTC
On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 15:57:31 -0500, "Ronda Sexton"
Post by Ronda Sexton
I hate the way they wrecked Kellerman.
IMHO as long as Luther had the gun in his hand, he was armed and dangerous.
Pull a gun on a police officer, and as long as the gun is in your hand, you
are a clear and present danger.
I hate the way they ruined the show by bringing Kellerman in.

Todd
(considers Killerman to be the shark jumper)
RC Freya
2008-07-07 13:30:02 UTC
Post by Todd
I hate the way they ruined the show by bringing Kellerman in.
Todd
(considers Killerman to be the shark jumper)
Todd -

The show that brings you Emma Zoole, coffin sex, and the completely
unrealistic Megan/Beau affair in season 3, and you think Kellerman is
the shark jumping moment for HLOTS? I actually liked Kellerman at
first, but the way they developed the character (esp in season 5) was
really awful.

Not that I want to get into another "jumping the shark" discussion on
here, but I think we can clearly point to season 3 (when TPTB started
interfering with TBDSOT) as the start of the bad things to come for
the show.

Freya
Todd
2008-07-09 02:25:48 UTC
On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 06:30:02 -0700 (PDT), RC Freya
Post by RC Freya
Post by Todd
I hate the way they ruined the show by bringing Kellerman in.
Todd
(considers Killerman to be the shark jumper)
Todd -
The show that brings you Emma Zoole, coffin sex, and the completely
unrealistic Megan/Beau affair in season 3, and you think Kellerman is
the shark jumping moment for HLOTS? I actually liked Kellerman at
first, but the way they developed the character (esp in season 5) was
really awful.
Not that I want to get into another "jumping the shark" discussion on
here, but I think we can clearly point to season 3 (when TPTB started
interfering with TBDSOT) as the start of the bad things to come for
the show.
Freya
Surely you jest, Shirley! Season 3 was HLOTS at its lumpiest. The
addition of Killerman was the first attempt to add eye candy to the
show, an error that was multiplied with the horrible additions of
Seda, Forbes, and Michelle.

Todd
RC Freya
2008-07-11 14:12:56 UTC
Post by Todd
Surely you jest, Shirley! Season 3 was HLOTS at its lumpiest. The
addition of Killerman was the first attempt to add eye candy to the
show, an error that was multiplied with the horrible additions of
Seda, Forbes, and Michelle.
Todd
Season 3 already had seen the forced departure of Crosetti, so it was
a bit less lumpy already. The attempts to "sex up" the show with the
Beau/Megan affair and Emma Zoole were so unrealistic they were almost
laughable. The coffin sex surely teetered very close to the edge of
sharkdom. Despite that, season 3 was overall a very solid, well
written season.

I think season 4 was very good overall as well, despite the casting of
someone mainly for "eye candy" purposes. One could easily argue that
eye candy was already available from the start, since Bayliss always
had a strong female following, and a number of men found Kay to be
quite attractive as well. The key difference, I think, was the
stronger writing earlier in the show and less interference from TPTB.
Both characters deteriorated considerably over the course of the show,
as we all know. No sign of the shark yet, IMO.

Season 5 was still good, but the casting changes and bad writing
started to effect the show much more noticeably. Forbes was brought
in to sex up the show, but why anyone would cast her in an "eye candy"
role is beyond me - she's average looking at best, and not much of an
actress. (Just watch her on BSG and you'll see what I mean - I think
she's been playing the same part since she was on Star Trek, for
frak's sake!) Pairing her up with Kellerman for a bunch of
meaningless, drunken rolls in the hay made a bad situation worse. The
blood was in the water (as Frank would say) by this point.

The new cast members and their lousy storylines for season 6 made the
show unwatchable for me. The trifecta of casting Thorne, Seda, and
Michelle was when the shark was finally jumped. Who the hell hires
someone as dumpy as Thorne and as bland as Seda for "eye candy"
purposes anyway? Was someone being ironic? Any truth to the rumor
that Thorne was the "pet project" (for lack of a better term) of one
of the producers or TPTB and that was the overriding factor in her
casting? Michelle was at least pretty, but her character was weak on
a good day. Putting the two least interesting characters into a
relationship was a horrible idea and showed how creatively bankrupt
the writers were at this point. I still haven't watched all of season
7 because the show had become a shadow of its former self.

I'll put the official shark moment much later than you, Todd, but I
think there was a slow, gradual decline in the show before we got
there.

Anyone else want to add their 11 cents?

RC Freya
Mel
2008-07-12 03:27:10 UTC
Post by RC Freya
Post by Todd
[...]
Well, this might only be 2 cents' worth, but imo they ruined Frank when
he came back from the stroke. Part is no doubt overall writing wasn't as
good, but the Tim/Frank pairing was always the best. After the stroke,
it was never the same. Plus, too much screen time was given to the "Mary
and the kids" relationship. I cared about the Frank/Tim relationship,
not his marriage.

Mel
Todd
2008-07-17 03:09:43 UTC
Post by Mel
Post by RC Freya
Post by Todd
[...]
Agreed about the stroke, but Simon & Company always focused on the
cops' personal lives so Frank and Mary didn't bother me. I think I'd
rather see Frank/Mary than watch Killerman go through his suicidal
period. God, that was irritating.

Todd
Mel
2008-07-17 04:14:38 UTC
Post by Todd
Post by Mel
Post by RC Freya
Post by Todd
[...]
Having them talk about home stuff is fine, especially in the context of
the cop relationship, but I don't need to see it on film.

I didn't much care for the psycho-Beth episodes either. The only scene
that really got to me was when Beau pulled up to find the house empty.
Everything else was soap opera material.

Mel
Font of All Important Info
2008-07-20 22:46:50 UTC
Post by Todd
Post by Mel
Well, this might only be 2 cents' worth, but imo they ruined Frank when
he came back from the stroke. Part is no doubt overall writing wasn't as
good, but the Tim/Frank pairing was always the best. After the stroke,
it was never the same. Plus, too much screen time was given to the "Mary
and the kids" relationship. I cared about the Frank/Tim relationship,
not his marriage.
Mel
Agreed about the stroke, but Simon & Company always focused on the
cops' personal lives so Frank and Mary didn't bother me. I think I'd
rather see Frank/Mary than watch Killerman go through his suicidal
period. God, that was irritating.
didn't Andre Braugher ask for something (like the stroke) that would
make Frank less of a supercop?

--dez (who wants some liquid bagel now)

...a pistol-hot cup of Dez...

"Chef of chicanery, your buns are mine!"
--the Tick
Todd
2008-07-17 03:13:49 UTC
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 07:12:56 -0700 (PDT), RC Freya
Post by RC Freya
Season 3 already had seen the forced departure of Crosetti, so it was
a bit less lumpy already. The attempts to "sex up" the show with the
Beau/Megan affair and Emma Zoole were so unrealistic they were almost
laughable. The coffin sex surely teetered very close to the edge of
sharkdom. Despite that, season 3 was overall a very solid, well
written season.
Oh, the coffin sex was just plain fun. And it led to more in-depth
exploration of Tim's sexuality. We should all have an Emma Zoole in
our lives.
Post by RC Freya
I think season 4 was very good overall as well, despite the casting of
someone mainly for "eye candy" purposes. One could easily argue that
eye candy was already available from the start, since Bayliss always
had a strong female following, and a number of men found Kay to be
quite attractive as well. The key difference, I think, was the
stronger writing earlier in the show and less interference from TPTB.
Both characters deteriorated considerably over the course of the show,
as we all know. No sign of the shark yet, IMO.
I was firmly in the "Kay was attractive" camp--and I do mean firmly.
*adjusts*. But I would never consider her to be eye candy. She was
much too natural and earthy.
Post by RC Freya
[...]
Callie Thorne was just wrong as a cop, but I did gain some respect for
her when she played McNulty's ex in The Wire. And that show better
get some damned Emmys this year!

Todd
Shelshka
2008-07-18 20:06:00 UTC
Post by Todd
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 07:12:56 -0700 (PDT), RC Freya
Oh, the coffin sex was just plain fun.

Nah, too easy.

Shel
Todd
2008-07-21 06:44:50 UTC
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:06:00 -0700 (PDT), Shelshka
Post by Shelshka
Post by Todd
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 07:12:56 -0700 (PDT), RC Freya
Oh, the coffin sex was just plain fun.
Nah, too easy.
She lives. Knew ya was lurkin' out there somewhere.

Todd
Shelshka
2008-07-21 22:30:20 UTC
She lives.  Knew ya was lurkin' out there somewhere.
I live. Decided to keep it real, get back to my roots...

Shel
Shelshka
2008-07-22 04:52:41 UTC
Plus, Ronda is right. It was a clean shoot.

Shel
Todd
2008-07-23 06:54:16 UTC
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:52:41 -0700 (PDT), Shelshka
Post by Shelshka
Plus, Ronda is right. It was a clean shoot.
Murder pure and simple.

And don't feel bad. I'm prematurely bald. Okay, that was back in my
twenties, but still . . .

Todd
Font of All Important Info
2008-07-22 05:27:50 UTC
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:30:20 -0700 (PDT), Shelshka
Post by Shelshka
She lives.  Knew ya was lurkin' out there somewhere.
I live. Decided to keep it real, get back to my roots...
i refuse to get back to my roots until the greys refuse to take the
damn hair dye :-D

--dez

--the Tick
Shelshka
2008-07-22 20:24:15 UTC
Post by Font of All Important Info
i refuse to get back to my roots until the greys refuse to take the
damn hair dye  :-D
I feel your pain. I started to gray at nineteen - and not prettily -
and have been playing around with color ever since.

Recently my hair stylist informed me that I was of an age where I
ought to stop calling myself "prematurely" gray. Pretty dangerous
words to utter when there are so many sharp implements about. She's
lucky it would be such a pain in the ass to find a new stylist.

Shel
Font of All Important Info
2008-07-24 05:34:01 UTC
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:24:15 -0700 (PDT), Shelshka
Post by Shelshka
Post by Font of All Important Info
i refuse to get back to my roots until the greys refuse to take the
damn hair dye  :-D
I feel your pain. I started to gray at nineteen - and not prettily -
and have been playing around with color ever since.
i've had random grays since i was 10. my mom used to pluck them outta
my head when she brushed my hair at night, then tell me i was too
young to have so much stress and gray hair, lol.
Post by Shelshka
Recently my hair stylist informed me that I was of an age where I
ought to stop calling myself "prematurely" gray. Pretty dangerous
words to utter when there are so many sharp implements about. She's
lucky it would be such a pain in the ass to find a new stylist.
my trainer was trying to get me interested in some "natural hormone
replacement therapy" or something like that. i think he got the idea
that i wasn't ready for menopause medicine when i snarled that i
wasn't that old yet :-D

Font of All Important Info
2008-07-20 22:45:16 UTC
Post by Todd
Callie Thorne was just wrong as a cop, but I did gain some respect for
her when she played McNulty's ex in The Wire. And that show better
get some damned Emmys this year!
well, if we're lucky, it will win the solitary Emmy it was nominated
for.

--dez <grumbling still>