OT: The Wire :-(
Todd
2008-02-26 04:20:14 UTC
I can't tell you how sad I was that Omar got killed this week--and by
a child! I knew the character was doomed since Michael Williams said
in a promo that Simon told him not to expect to work past week seven.
It was a foregone conclusion.

Simon & Co. both amaze and irritate me sometimes. Having Omar go out
in such an anticlimactic fashion is what makes this show so great--the
willingness to knock off major characters not in some grand and heroic
fashion but in the most realistic and nonexciting way possible--caught
with his guard down by a young kid. I had a bad feeling when the kid
stopped dousing the cat in lighter fluid and watched Omar limp by. But
it's also irritating because some part of me really wanted to see Omar
confront Marlo. It will be small but sweet revenge if the list in
Omar's pocket ends up helping to catch Marlo.

I can't believe there are only two episodes left of this amazing show.
Todd

P.S. The scene with McNulty listening to the FBI profile was
priceless as every characteristic described him perfectly. We may
have seen some foreshadowing as Beadie described his wake. I don't
think Omar's the only one going down.
Font of All Important Info
2008-02-28 04:15:40 UTC
Post by Todd
I can't tell you how sad I was that Omar got killed this week--and by
a child! I knew the character was doomed since Michael Williams said
in a promo that Simon told him not to expect to work past week seven.
It was a foregone conclusion.
Simon & Co. both amaze and irritate me sometimes. Having Omar go out
in such an anticlimactic fashion is what makes this show so great--the
willingness to knock off major characters not in some grand and heroic
fashion but in the most realistic and nonexciting way possible--caught
with his guard down by a young kid. I had a bad feeling when the kid
stopped dousing the cat in lighter fluid and watched Omar limp by.
that little kid was Kenard, who works Michael's corner and gives Dukie
a hard time. stupid little fuckin' Kenard, bah.
Post by Todd
But
it's also irritating because some part of me really wanted to see Omar
confront Marlo. It will be small but sweet revenge if the list in
Omar's pocket ends up helping to catch Marlo.
i hope so, too! i freakin' hate Marlo and i keep hoping that whoever
takes his place won't be as bad as he is (or worse).
Post by Todd
I can't believe there are only two episodes left of this amazing show.
i know! it makes me want to cry :(
Post by Todd
P.S. The scene with McNulty listening to the FBI profile was
priceless as every characteristic described him perfectly. We may
have seen some foreshadowing as Beadie described his wake. I don't
think Omar's the only one going down.
gads, i hope McNulty lives. if he does get caught and goes down for
the fake serial killer (which i doubt the BPD would admit to,
preferring to send him on his merry drunken way to shit detail),
Beadie's prediction will come true in that no one will stand up for
him. but at least he'll be alive. and maybe Bunk will forgive him.
man, i miss those two being friends.

--dez (Kima will kick his ass, however)

...a pistol-hot cup of Dez...

"Chef of chicanery, your buns are mine!"
--the Tick
Todd
2008-02-29 03:10:28 UTC
Post by Todd
P.S. The scene with McNulty listening to the FBI profile was
priceless as every characteristic described him perfectly. We may
have seen some foreshadowing as Beadie described his wake. I don't
think Omar's the only one going down.
gads, i hope McNulty lives. if he does get caught and goes down for
the fake serial killer (which i doubt the BPD would admit to,
preferring to send him on his merry drunken way to shit detail),
Beadie's prediction will come true in that no one will stand up for
him. but at least he'll be alive. and maybe Bunk will forgive him.
man, i miss those two being friends.
--dez (Kima will kick his ass, however)
...a pistol-hot cup of Dez...
"Chef of chicanery, your buns are mine!"
--the Tick
A friend at work gave me a recent LA Times article that has an
interview with Dominic West. He says there are talks about a movie
version of "The Wire," and David Simon was not against the idea. He
said it would have to be a prequel, however. That may give us a clue
as to what happens to Jimmy McNulty.

As virtually every major Star Wars character has said, "I have a bad
feeling about this."

Todd
Font of All Important Info
2008-03-03 06:11:37 UTC
Post by Todd
A friend at work gave me a recent LA Times article that has an
interview with Dominic West. He says there are talks about a movie
version of "The Wire," and David Simon was not against the idea. He
said it would have to be a prequel, however. That may give us a clue
as to what happens to Jimmy McNulty.
As virtually every major Star Wars character has said, "I have a bad
feeling about this."
and that feeling got worse after tonight's ep--eep!!

--dez

--the Tick
Todd
2008-03-05 04:21:41 UTC
On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 22:11:37 -0800, Font of All Important Info
Post by Todd
A friend at work gave me a recent LA Times article that has an
interview with Dominic West. He says there are talks about a movie
version of "The Wire," and David Simon was not against the idea. He
said it would have to be a prequel, however. That may give us a clue
as to what happens to Jimmy McNulty.
As virtually every major Star Wars character has said, "I have a bad
feeling about this."
and that feeling got worse after tonight's ep--eep!!
--dez
...a pistol-hot cup of Dez...
"Chef of chicanery, your buns are mine!"
--the Tick
Yeah, it's not looking good for Jimmy McNulty. I have mixed feelings
about Kima's ratting him out, especially after his guilt over her
getting shot in season 1, but I guess it had to happen to push the
story forward.

I'm just sick about Dukie, though. In the preview for the finale, it
showed him talking to Prez and he already had scabs on his face from
heroin. Why would Michael let him go in there? Hell, they could have
gone to see Naimon and maybe gotten Bunny Colvin to take him in as
well--or Prez even. If Michael is going to be the new Omar, then
Dukie is the new Bubbles. Why isn't anyone stepping up to save that
kid?

Todd
Font of All Important Info
2008-03-08 06:55:39 UTC
Post by Todd
A friend at work gave me a recent LA Times article that has an
interview with Dominic West. He says there are talks about a movie
version of "The Wire," and David Simon was not against the idea. He
said it would have to be a prequel, however. That may give us a clue
as to what happens to Jimmy McNulty.
As virtually every major Star Wars character has said, "I have a bad
feeling about this."
and that feeling got worse after tonight's ep--eep!!
Yeah, it's not looking good for Jimmy McNulty. I have mixed feelings
about Kima's ratting him out, especially after his guilt over her
getting shot in season 1, but I guess it had to happen to push the
story forward.
i also have mixed feelings, but ultimately, i understand her
motivation. i wish she'd given Jimmy and Lester a head's up, though.
Post by Todd
I'm just sick about Dukie, though.
me, too. that poor kid!
Post by Todd
In the preview for the finale, it
showed him talking to Prez and he already had scabs on his face from
heroin. Why would Michael let him go in there? Hell, they could have
gone to see Naimon and maybe gotten Bunny Colvin to take him in as
well--or Prez even.
like Cutty, they don't know how to think beyond their own world.
Post by Todd
If Michael is going to be the new Omar, then
Dukie is the new Bubbles. Why isn't anyone stepping up to save that
kid?
his parents are junkies. we don't know if he has other family. Prez
doesn't know what became of him (up until Sunday, i guess!). he's
fallen through the cracks into the pit :(

btw, know of any viewing parties for the finale? it would be cool to
watch it with other fans.

--dez (and by cool, i mean, it will keep me from being a crying mess
all night, heh)

--the Tick
Todd
2008-03-10 01:29:41 UTC
Post by Todd
If Michael is going to be the new Omar, then
Dukie is the new Bubbles. Why isn't anyone stepping up to save that
kid?
his parents are junkies. we don't know if he has other family. Prez
doesn't know what became of him (up until Sunday, i guess!). he's
fallen through the cracks into the pit :(
btw, know of any viewing parties for the finale? it would be cool to
watch it with other fans.
--dez (and by cool, i mean, it will keep me from being a crying mess
all night, heh)
I'm on a countdown to the final episode. Man, it's going to suck not
having this show on the air. But hey, we still have . . . damn it, I
got nothin'.

Todd
Font of All Important Info
2008-03-10 04:52:36 UTC
Post by Todd
I'm on a countdown to the final episode. Man, it's going to suck not
having this show on the air. But hey, we still have . . . damn it, I
got nothin'.
i already watched (got the East Coast feed). looking forward to
hearing your review once you're done seeing it (well, i may have to
wait until tomorrow to read it because it's almost my bedtime, heh).

--the Tick
Todd
2008-03-13 04:49:42 UTC
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 21:52:36 -0700, Font of All Important Info
Post by Todd
I'm on a countdown to the final episode. Man, it's going to suck not
having this show on the air. But hey, we still have . . . damn it, I
got nothin'.
i already watched (got the East Coast feed). looking forward to
hearing your review once you're done seeing it (well, i may have to
wait until tomorrow to read it because it's almost my bedtime, heh).
--dez
I was glad to see McNulty survive. And I enjoyed the fake wake. But
I'm not a big fan of montage scenes so that was kind of a letdown.

Best moments in no particular order:

1. McNulty telling off that little shit of a reporter, who goes on to
win a Pulitzer anyway. That part stretched credulity for me. I know
Simon has a beef with the Sun, but as bad as they may have been, I
don't know of any senior editor or publisher who would knowingly
ignore hard evidence of fabrication.

2. Marlo going out on the street to confront the corner boys. Turns
out, when all is said and done, the only thing that mattered to him
was getting his rep back after all the damage Omar had done to it.
Some part of me wanted to see him stuck in prison with Barksdale and
have Avon take him out, though.

3. Sweetest moment: Cheese getting his head blown off by Slim
Charles after giving that speech. I loved when the other guys just
stood there and said, "Sentimental motherfucker just cost us money!"

Think I'm going to have to get the DVDs of this series. It's just too
good not to watch again.

Todd
Font of All Important Info
2008-03-19 03:54:16 UTC
Post by Todd
I was glad to see McNulty survive. And I enjoyed the fake wake.
he had more "mourners" than Beadie predicted, too!
Post by Todd
But
I'm not a big fan of montage scenes so that was kind of a letdown.
i thought it had a lot of power. different strokes, etc.
Post by Todd
1. McNulty telling off that little shit of a reporter, who goes on to
win a Pulitzer anyway. That part stretched credulity for me. I know
Simon has a beef with the Sun, but as bad as they may have been, I
don't know of any senior editor or publisher who would knowingly
ignore hard evidence of fabrication.
i wouldn't be surprised if something like that has actually happened.
some myopic eyes stay on the prize.
Post by Todd
2. Marlo going out on the street to confront the corner boys. Turns
out, when all is said and done, the only thing that mattered to him
was getting his rep back after all the damage Omar had done to it.
Some part of me wanted to see him stuck in prison with Barksdale and
have Avon take him out, though.
i wanted to see *anyone* take him out. i hated Marlo. guess i'll
settle for him being stripped of his power :-)
Post by Todd
3. Sweetest moment: Cheese getting his head blown off by Slim
Charles after giving that speech. I loved when the other guys just
stood there and said, "Sentimental motherfucker just cost us money!"
that scene was awesome. another great scene was Bubbs going up the
stairs for a family dinner <sniffle>. at least there was one truly
happy ending (vs. all the bittersweet ones).
Post by Todd
Think I'm going to have to get the DVDs of this series. It's just too
good not to watch again.
same here, except i'll probably cry all through Season 4 & 5 every
time i see Dukie.