deja mafia
marika
2009-01-24 18:53:29 UTC
my sister toasted a chocolate poptart at work the other day, and people
came
screeching around the corner, asking her what that WONDERFUL smell
was....they thought she was
baking double chocolate fudge brownies. She had no idea they smelled
that good (or at ALLl, for that matter). Everybody was RAVING, and nobody
believed her when she told them it was just a poptart. Do they add extra
smell-ification to them or something?
my sister said she once read an awesome article (she couldn't remember
where, maybe on the internet)
about animal rights, in which there was some bickering going on back and
forth,
and the author said (very articulately, though she can't remember his
exact words,
she wishes she had saved it because it was one of the most well-said
things she had ever
read) he said something to the effect of "In a debate of any kind, the
first
person who resorts to comparisons using the words "nazis" or "hitler"
invariably
has sunken to desperation and loses the debate."... and then he went on
explain why. she admitted it was MUCH more articulate than the way she
would I have said it,
but she
was so impressed by it that she never forgot it, and it was so true. As a
result,
anytime she read anything on animal rights, the NANO-SECOND that she sees
the word
"nazi", she hits "delete" or turn the page.
I introduced her to the rule of Mike Godwin.
In the meantime, I saw you today and I don't think you knew it was me!
mk5000
2009-01-24 19:15:20 UTC
what would you do...

my sister called EVERY fence company in the phonebook last April. that was
12
companies. THREE returned her call. TWO of those never showed up for their
appointment. ONE showed up (let's call him Fenceman). That took THREE months
to get ONE
person to give her an estimate. She had originally wanted a new fence by
July4th, so thought 3 months was WAY plenty enough time. WRONG.

Fenceman finally sent her a contract on August 16. She signed it and mailed
it back with a $2000 deposit the NEXT DAY (August 17). He said it would
take about 4 weeks to get to do the job, and it was a 3 day job, total
$6000. OK. she I thought she'd have a fence by the end of September. Not
ideal, but
better than nothing.

October 25, no fence and no word from him. She calls him, leaves a
message.... "HUH>? Where are you?"
he calls her back Oct 27 and says "oops, we fell behind schedule. we'll
be there monday"
she ssay "ok, see you monday. if for any reason, monday falls through CALL
ME and let me know, and PLEASE don't come out the following week
(election week) because i will be in sandiego. please come the NEXT week
(week of 11/14)."
he says OK.

Monday-- no Fenceman.
Election week- no call.
This past week- no Fenceman, no call.

She calls him THREE times last week 11/13, 11/15, 11/16 and leaves
messages-- WHERE ARE YOU! Call me back TODAY and tell me when you are
doing this job! I sent you $2000 deposit THREE MONTHS AGO!!!

No call back.

Here's my questions:
1) Has she been taken? or is this common practice to make customers wait
forever? (it has happened to me before with contractors, they ALL suck,
but never with a $2000 deposit-- I thought that was a CONTRACT, no?)
2) What would you do now? Recall that NOBODY else even returned her call
and she sWANT THAT FENCE DONE? Would you keep calling him? Or wait? Or
demand the money back? Or what? he is absolutely not returning her calls
now.

All the times that she called him in the past and left messages (he NEVER
answers the phone) she was very patient and cordial, never aggressive.
Unfortunately, she is afraid if she pisses him off she will never get her
fence
which she has been trying to get someone to do for TWO YEARS now. (Same
thing
happened summer 1999, except nobody took any money-- bunch of people
called back but nobody ever showed up for the appointment. So this is
a LOOOOOONG headache, and her fence is falling apart>)

our father says "write a threatening letter"
the booyfriend says "Call him again and DEMAND that he do the job THIS WEEK"
the moron lawyer says "Hire a lawyer and sue him"

she JUST WANTs A GODDAMNIT FENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!

What would you do now?
How does this happen in an economy when people are being laid off and the
unemployment is so high
My sister has a fish pond. The fish eat anything that her dog Bailey
can't catch before it hits the pond surface.
The dog has actually fallen INTO the pond trying to leap and catch the
fish food
as she tosses it into the water.
marika